Sunday, July 11, 2010

Power Thought for the Day

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
-Maya Angelou


A few weeks ago Mags and I were watching the GLEE episode where "Becky", a young girl with downs syndrome tried out for the Cheerios. Maggie said to me something like, "if I went to school with a girl like Becky I would want to be friends with her. If she had trouble jump roping, I'd help her learn." Fast forward to today....We had our annual family picnic at Aunt Dorie's house today. Our family that I haven't seen since I was a little girl was there too - they drove all the way from Kansas. I watched the kids play and have a ball in the pool, with the pinata, running around and laughing. I realized that although Maggie is growing up like a weed, she has something that I envy. A quality that many people don't posess - perhaps they are afraid of it, perhaps they are ignorant to it, or perhaps my daughter is just at an age where there really are no differences between people. While some shy away or turn their back, my daughter holds their hand. I have a tremendous amount of respect pride for her because of this.






No comments:

Post a Comment